Saturday, April 12, 2014

Welcome George

Sorry it has been so long since I posted, George was born 2 weeks ago but life with 2 small children is a little crazy.  So finally here is George's birth story.
Robin flew in on March 21st and much to our surprise, George hung out until his scheduled c-section date.  It was really nice that he hung out for so long because it allowed time for Micah and Robin to get adjusted to each other again.  Our c-section was scheduled for 7am on March 28th.  My doctor told us to arrive at the hospital 2 hours in advance, but to call the hospital before we left to make sure that my surgery was still good to go and that they had rooms available.  It is a half hour drive to the hospital, so we woke up at 4am so that we could leave at 4:30.  I called the hospital and they told me that my surgery was good to go, but to come a hour early.  Since we were already awake and since my doctor had clearly written 2 hours in advance and told us that, we decided to head on to the hospital.  We would rather be early than be late and end up having to wait hours and hours for another open c-section time.  We arrived at the hospital a little after 5 and waited to check in.  The person in front of us was from a funeral home, picking up someone that had been in labor and delivery...way to make a pregnant lady feel confident right before her surgery.
We checked in, but the lady told us that the prep area for scheduled c-sections doesn't open until 6am.  She pointed us to the waiting room and we got to hang out there for a hour.  Finally around 6:15, they came and got us and took us to the pre op room.  I got all ready and the anesthesiologist came to talk to me about medicines.  I told him that I am allergic to morphine and percoset.  He asked me what my symptoms were and I told him and he was like oh you are actually really allergic, it's not just an I itch thing.  So then he had to go off and search for some medicine for my spinal that didn't have morphine in it.  Apparently no one did this in advance and it is not a simple medicine to grab instead.  Eventually he found some in a pharmacy at the hospital and I was sent off to the OR.  With a c section, the dad has to wait outside the OR room until the mom has the spinal and the doctor's begin the surgery.  So I walked into the OR room, got up on the table and waited for my least favorite part, the spinal.  I sat there and an anesthesiologist put the numbing medicine in my back (it feels like a bee sting) and then went to put the spinal in.  When he did that, my right leg went crazy and hurt incredibly bad.  Apparently, that is a bad thing.  So he numbed me in a different spot and tried again, and once again HORRIBLE pain shooting down my right leg.  He tried multiple times and it kept happening.  During all of this, I was sitting on the table with my head hanging down, my chin touching my chest and my back had to be rolled as much as possible and my arms dangling down.  When he couldn't get it, another anesthesiologist in the room attempted and the same thing happened multiple times.  It still wasn't working, the pain was still going down my right leg.  Finally, they gave up and called in the head anesthesiologist.  He came in and he attempted it multiple times as well with the same results.  At this point, my neck was killing me and my back felt like a pin cushion, not to mention my crazy twitching painful right leg.  At this point I was crying and I began begging for them to just completely knock me out for it.  I was insisting that I would be fine to be asleep for it.  As soon as I started begging for that, he finally got it in.  Apparently since my last c section, my spine has curved and made it very difficult.
The c section finally started and Brandon was able to join me.  I immediately told him about the horrors of my spinal, but he helped me focus on other things.
Just a few minutes later, George Joseph was born at 7:52am.
 He was 21 and half inches long and 7 pounds 10 ounces.  They brought him over to us and took some pictures, but those are all on Brandon's phone so I will post those pics later.  Brandon went off to the nursery with George while they finished up with me.  They took me to recovery and Brandon joined me there.  George had to hang out in the nursery for a little bit while they waited for his temperature to regulate, but Brandon brought me lots of pictures of him.  Not much later, they moved me to my actual room and George joined us very shortly after that.
He is incredibly long and skinny.  He did so good and my recovery was a lot easier this time too.  My c section was on Friday morning and I was eating real food by Friday night.  Saturday morning they took all my monitors and IV out and I got to shower.  Micah came and met his baby brother on Saturday at lunch time and did so good!

We hung out at the hospital on Saturday..

And we were released by Sunday before lunch time.  So we were only in the hospital for a little over 48 hours.
Life is going really good here, Micah has been doing so good with Baby George.  I am so proud of him.  I will post a lot more pictures and more stories later, but I wanted to get the basic birth story done while I had a moment of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment